PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED
Venue: Board Room, College Building, Middlesex University, Hendon Campus, London NW4 4BT
10.15 Opening Prof Waqar Ahmad
10.30-12.30 Morning session chaired by Prof John Eade
1. Dr Claire Dwyer, University College London, ‘Highway to Heaven’: the making of a transnational suburban religious landscape
2. Dr Louise Ryan, and Dr Elena Vacchelli, Middlesex University, ‘Mothering Through Islam: Narratives of Religious Identity’
3. Dr Bindi Shah, Southampton University, 'Gender convergence in contemporary religious practice among second-generation Jain women and men in the UK and USA'
4. Dr Ann David, Roehampton University, 'Gendered dynamics of the divine: new forms of feminine Hindu worship?'
13.30-15.30 Afternoon session chaired by Prof Sophie Watson
5. Dr Mattia Fumanti, St Andrews University, ‘A light hearted bunch of ladies’: Gendered Power and irreverent piety in the Ghanaian Methodist Diaspora
6. Katrin Maier, University of Sussex, 'If your husband is backing you up, you can go anywhere!' Female Agency Through Submission to Male Authority in Nigerian Pentecostalism in London
7. Dr Chia Longman, Ghent University, 'Migration, Local and Transnational Belonging among Orthodox Jewish Women'
8. Dr Nick Gill, University of Exeter, 'Mobility, Faith and Networks: The Role of The Polish Catholic Church of England and Wales in the Lives of Polish Migrants'
15.30 Final Thoughts & Conclusion lead by Prof Eleonore Kofman
Click on chairs and speakers names for their bios
Organisers: Dr. Louise Ryan, Dr. Elena Vacchelli and Clare Choak, Social Policy Research Centre, Middlesex University